Anorak

Anorak | Man Sets Fire To Neighbours’ Garden, Accidentally

Man Sets Fire To Neighbours’ Garden, Accidentally

by | 15th, July 2008

WITH the summer, comes a traditional story of feuding neighbours, rowing over the Leylandii and borders.

But we live in dangerous and aggressive times, and the Telegraph reports: “Scientist’s blowtorch weed killer backfires – A scientist using a mini-blowtorch to kill weeds accidentally incinerated his neighbours’ front garden.”

Accidentally.

We join the action as Robert Gailey, 79, emerges on the driveway of his semi-detached home in Paisley, Renfrewshire. He is equipped with a Weed Wand:

With push button automatic ignition just a touch from its high temperature flame disrupts the cell structure of weeds, causing them to wither and die within a day or two without using expensive toxic chemicals.

Mr Gailey watches “in horror” as sparks cause the lawn and shrubs of his neighbours garden to catch light. Trees and greenery belonging Stuart and Phyliss McLean is ablaze.

Mrs Mary Gailey calls the fire service.

Accidents happen. But why does the Telegraph choose to tells us that Mr Gailey “holds a 1st in science from Glasgow University”?

Says he: “People should be extremely careful when they use blowtorch devices such as these in their gardens.”

And, perhaps take just as much care, in keeping their plants on their side of the fence…

Source



Posted: 15th, July 2008 | In: Tabloids Comment | Follow the Comments on our RSS feed: RSS 2.0 | TrackBack | Permalink