Did David Essex never meet Jimmy Savile, as he claims?
“I never met Jimmy Savile actually…I always thought he was kind of a strange person, but I never met him.”
You might have potted them in the Top of the Pops annual of 1977:
1) “How Real Is David Bowie?”
2) “David Essex – The Star Success Will Never Change”
3) “Steve Harley – The Toughest Cockney Rebel In Town”
4) “So You Want To Be A Disc Jockey? Well, Here’s How…Says Jimmy Savile”
5) “If You’ve Got It, Then Flaunt It…Says Rod Stewart”
The pair might have been immortalised together in print, but did they meet? As Private Eye reports, back in March 1984, Essex appeared on Jim’ll Fix It, making a dream come true-ooo-oooo…
Your letter was only the start of it, one letter and now you’re a part of it,
Now you’ve done it, Jim has fixed for it you, and you and you.
There must be something that you always want to do, the one thing that you always wanted to,
Now you’ve done it, Jim has fixed it for you, and you and you and you … ba ba ba …
… ba ba ba … Jim has fixed it for you, and you and you and you-ou-ou.
They can’t remember meeting him. But they might be able to recall not meeting him…