Anorak

Anorak | Woman’s death linked to her daily diet of 2.2 gallons of Coca Cola

Woman’s death linked to her daily diet of 2.2 gallons of Coca Cola

by | 12th, February 2013

natasha harris coke Womans death linked to her daily diet of 2.2 gallons of Coca Cola

NATASHA Harris, 30, has died after consuming up to 2.2 gallons of Coca Cola a day. Every day. Ms Harris, 30, of Invercargill in New Zealand’s South Island, died February 2010. The coroner, Mr David Crerar, that the “extreme” amounts of Coke played a role in the cardiac arrhythmia that finally killed her.

He calculated that drinking 10 litres delivered 970mg of caffeine, and more than 1kg of sugar a day:

“I find that when all the available evidence is considered, were it not for the consumption of very large quantities of Coke by Natasha Harris, it is unlikely that she would have died when she died and how she died.”

Ms Harris, a mum-of-eight, had been unwell for years. She drink no alcohol. She smoked 30 cigarettes a day. She ate little. Her teeth were rotten. Some of her children were born with no enamel on their teeth.

Ms Harris’ mother-in-law, Vivien Hodgkinson, told the coroner’s court:

“[She would] go crazy if she ran out… she would get the shakes, withdrawal symptoms, be angry, on edge and snappy.”

The coroner recommended “that Coca-Cola give consideration to the inclusion of advice as to quantity of caffeine on labels (in) its products and… adding appropriate warnings related to the dangers of consuming excessive quantities of the products”.

Really? Anyone who can’t work out that drinking so much fizzy pop every day on a pretty empty stomach is not all that healthy might not care to read the small print. Also, Mrs Harris never saw the doctor.

Indeed, Mr Crerar added that “Coca-Cola cannot be held responsible for the health of consumers who drink unhealthy quantities of the product”.

Coca-Cola Oceania is unimpressed with the link between its carbonated sugar and ill health:

“…we are disappointed that the coroner has chosen to focus on the combination of Ms Harris’ excessive consumption of Coca-Cola, together with other health and lifestyle factors, as the probable cause of her death.”

Ms Harris’s partner, Christopher Hodgkinson puts it that, “People need to get aware of what it can do, especially what it can be doing to small kids.”

Anyone observant who has ever seen a young child pepped up on Coke needs no second warning…



Posted: 12th, February 2013 | In: News, Strange But True, The Consumer Comment | Follow the Comments on our RSS feed: RSS 2.0 | TrackBack | Permalink