Mick and Mairead Philpott did kill his six children before they went dogging
MICK Philpott, 56, set a fire to his home at 8 Victory Road in Derby. The May 11 2012 fire killed six of his children. He is guilty of manslaughter. He never meant to kill. He meant to frame his former mistress, Lisa Willis. She lived with Philpott and Mairead Philpott, his wife, 32. He would sleep with the women on alternate nights.
Then in the February before the fire, Lisa left. Philpott wanted revenge.
Philpott’s plan was to start the fire then save the children. He would be the hero. Lisa would be the villain. With the fire raging, his two accomplices called the emergency services from the back garden. But Mick never made it back into the house. The fire, started with petrol, was too intense.
Mairead and Paul Mosley, 46, are also guilty of manslaughter.
As he was sent down, Philpott crossed himself and was heard to say: “It’s not over yet.”
The dead are: Duwyane, 13, Jade, ten, John, nine, Jack, eight, Jesse, six and Jayden, five.
Other things we learned in the case are:
* Mick Philpott has appeared on the Jeremy Kyle Show and on an ITV documentary about the benefits system.
* Assistant Chief Constable Steve Cotterill said of the press conference following the blaze: “He entered the room in quite a jovial manner, a bit like an excited child… I would have expected him to be completely and utterly destroyed. If push comes to shove, not able to present himself at a press conference. He did not show a great deal of emotion or upset.”
* Other tells at the press conference were that Mairead never looked at the camera and he never appealed for information.
* Mosley and the Philpotts were in a ménage-a- trois. On the night of the blaze, Michael Philpott and his friend Paul Mosley played pool before having sex with Mairead on the night of the blaze.
* He was a father to 17, by five different women.
* Philpott had six children with wife Mairead, 31, and four with girlfriend Lisa Willis, 29, as well as seven others from three previous relationships.
* He said: “I was finding it very difficult to cope with what was going on. Having sex or smoking cannabis was one way of blocking it out.” After the blaze, the Philpotts went dogging in their leopard-skin lined minibus. Mairead had once had an abortion after she became pregnant with a stranger’s baby.
* Philpott said traces of petrol were found on him only because he had not bathed for 12 weeks. “My kids used to call me a tramp. In the morning, I just used to put water on my head and face and that’s it… We had a new shower put in 12 weeks earlier and I never used it. I try to stick to the ones [clothes] I’m wearing because I don’t do a lot of work.”
* Philpott is a woman beater who has spent time in jail for the attempted murder of former girlfriend Kim Hill, 17 – – she jilted him; he stabbed her as she lay in bed – and grievous bodily harm against her mother.
* Philpott was once a soldier.
* Of his unusual love life, he said: “I didn’t actually want two women in my life. It just happened and I regret it. It might sound strange to you but I asked Mairead’s permission. And I got it.”
* Mick Philpott was on bail for a violent road rage attack at the time of the blaze and had received a caution for attacking his wife. Philpott had also head-butted a colleague at work in 1991