Anorak

Anorak | Madeleine McCann: The Met takes over

Madeleine McCann: The Met takes over

by | 15th, June 2013

Mccann Madeleine McCann: The Met takes over

MADELEINE McCANN: Anorak’s at-a-glance look at the missing child ion the news:

Sunday Express (front page): “Police hint at New Maddie Breakthrough”

Number of breakthroughs to date: zero. What’s this new one? The paper says detectives have “signalled they are on the brink” of a breakthrough. in the “six year mystery”.

Really? What was said and done?

Daily Mirror: “Madeleine McCann search taken over by Scotland Yard”

Is that important?

It is the most significant development for her parents since their little girl went missing in Praia da Luz, Portugal

The facts:

Scotland Yard is launching a new investigation into the case of missing Madeleine ­McCann…

It is the first time UK police will actively investigate the case. A source close to the family said: “Clearly this is a major development and Kate and Gerry welcome it. It’s a big step forward in finding Madeleine and bringing those responsible to justice. The Met have gone from reviewing the case to fully investigating it which makes it much more likely that this will be solved.”…

Frustrated UK detectives asked Home Secretary Theresa May to fund their own investigation and she agreed.

It is expected to at least double the £5million that has already been spent on the review.

Why would British detectives be any better than the Portuguese ones? Could they be any worse?

Daily Mail:

Scotland Yard takes over the inquiry into Maddie’s disappearance from Portuguese police after they fail to make a breakthrough in six years

Good news.

It follows a two-year, £5million Met review of her disappearance.

This has identified more than 20 potential suspects and dozens of new leads – but despite the progress made by the review team, the Portuguese authorities have refused to reopen their inquiry. Officials in Portugal say that under the country’s laws they can only reopen the case if there is new evidence, and the new leads do not provide sufficient grounds.

But Met detectives insist their leads could, if properly investigated, result in new evidence and perhaps the case being solved.

Could. If, Perhaps. Is that what the Express means by a “hint”?

Time for a theory:

Last month, the Mail revealed how as part of the review, Yard detectives had flown to Switzerland to probe the movements of one of the country’s most notorious child snatchers, Urs Hans von Aesch.

The 67-year-old was one of many potential suspects dismissed prematurely by Portuguese police.

Von Aesch kidnapped and murdered a five-year-old girl in his native Switzerland less than three months after Madeleine was abducted. He took his own life after killing his victim, who looked remarkably like Maddie.

The Home Office said in a statement:

“The Home Office remains committed to supporting the search for Madeleine McCann and we have always said we would provide the Metropolitan Police with the resources they need to investigate her disappearance.”

Such are the facts…

 



Posted: 15th, June 2013 | In: Madeleine McCann, News Comments (3) | Follow the Comments on our RSS feed: RSS 2.0 | TrackBack | Permalink