Anorak

British People Dying From Candle Fumes | Anorak

Posts Tagged ‘British People Dying From Candle Fumes’

British People Dying From Candle Fumes

media-scare-stories2TODAY’S media scare story tells us that “Romantic candles could cause cancer, say scientists.”

Anyone who lights a scented candle deserves to die. Now they will:

Candlelight may be key to creating the perfect atmosphere for a romantic dinner or a relaxing bath – but it could also be a dangerous one, claim American scientists.

Richard Alleyne, the Telegraph’s Science Correspondent, cocks an ear to the American Chemical Society annual conference and learnt that fumes from paraffin wax “can be poisonous and even cause cancer”.

Inhaling paraffin fumes might be bad for you. Looks like its back to glue, readers. The report has more:

“An occasional paraffin candle and its emissions will not likely affect you,” said Amid Hamidi, the co-author of the study at South Carolina State University.

“But lighting many paraffin candles every day for years or lighting them frequently in an unventilated bathroom around a tub, for example, may cause problems.”

Get that? If you light candles (plural) every day in an unventilated room for years it might be hazardous to health?

Read the rest of this entry »

Posted: 20th, August 2009 | In: Reviews | Comment