Anorak News | Paul McBride died alone in a Pakistan hotel room, so they say

Paul McBride died alone in a Pakistan hotel room, so they say

by | 4th, March 2012

PAUL McBride QC has died in Pakistan. He was just 46, says the BBC. The Times says he was 47. QC Paul McBride died “suddenly”. His body was found in a room at the Pearl Continental Hotel in Lahore.

The BBC says:

Mr McBride had a high public profile. Two men are currently on trial in Glasgow accused of sending suspected parcel bombs to Mr McBride and other leading supporters of Celtic football club… It is understood that Mr McBride was in Pakistan on business.

Supt Faisal Gulzar of Lahore police tells media:

“At this stage we think he died of natural causes and do not suspect any foul play. We have checked CCTV footage from the hotel and carried out initial investigations. A post-mortem will take place. We will wait for the results before taking further action.”

Scottish lawyer, Aamer Anwar, who was in Pakistan with Mr McBride, tells BBC Scotland that Mr McBride had complained fo feeling unwell:

“Security came into the room with me – I thought he was asleep.”

A Jack Irvine speaks on behalf of Mr McBride’s family:

“Paul died in his sleep last night in a hotel in Pakistan and at this time we would ask you to respect the privacy of his family. There will be no further statement in the meantime.”

The Times reports:

The lawyer, who was a high-profile figure in Scotland, was the target of an alleged murder plot along with Celtic manager Neil Lennon, which is currently the subject of a criminal trial in Glasgow. It is believed that he was in Pakistan on a trip with the human rights lawyer Aamer Anwar, who he had previously defended in a contempt-of-court case.

Hotel employees said they believed that Mr McBride and Mr Anwar attended a wedding in Lahore last night. Officials in Pakistan have told the BBC they believe Mr McBride may have died as a result of a heart condition.

It was business and pleasure?

Ghulam Ahmed Dogar, a senior officer of Lahore police, said a bottle of wine had been found in the room but that only one glass had been taken from it. “We have shifted his body to the morgue for post-mortem while we have also informed the Embassy,” he said.

 Sky News:

Two men are currently on trial at the High Court in Glasgow accused of conspiring to murder Mr McBride, Mr Lennon and former MSP Trish Godman by sending improvised explosive devices to them between March 1 and April 15 last year. Trevor Muirhead, 43, and Neil McKenzie, 42, are also accused of conspiring to murder various people at republican organisation Cairde na hEireann’s premises in Glasgow by sending improvised explosive devices to them. It is alleged that the pair believed the devices were capable of exploding. They deny all charges against them.

Will this one run?

Posted: 4th, March 2012 | In: Reviews Comment (1) | TrackBack | Permalink