Anorak

Anorak | Heard The One About The Dead Jack Russell Dog In The Butcher’s Freezer?

Heard The One About The Dead Jack Russell Dog In The Butcher’s Freezer?

by | 1st, April 2011

THE Boston Standard is reporting that a dead dog – a Jack Russell – has been found in the freezer of a premises, reportedly, once occupied by a butchers in Market Place.

The paper says police were acting “on a lead“.

The council said in a statement that a formal caution has been issued to a local butcher “after reports that, following the death of his much-loved pet Jack Russell dog, he had kept the animal in a commercial freezer awaiting burial. The pet was wrapped in a blanket and placed in a separate box and posed no risk to public health. All of the contents of the freezer were destroyed using a licensed waste contractor. The distraught butcher concerned closed immediately and has since ceased trading.”

The paper then adds:

The search on the premises was carried out on January 14. And since then it appears the rumour mill has sprung into action, including on internet social networking site Facebook, with some members suggesting a Chinese restaurant in the town had been closed due to a dog being found in its freezer.

And this week the rumours took a nasty turn with Wei Xian Peng, owner of Zhu Guang in West Street, receiving an abusive telephone call.

“I don’t have a dog in my freezer – and such suggestions are ridiculous,” he told The Standard.

Trevor Darnes, principal environmental health officer, says:

“I would like to reassure members of the public that the council has not received any recent complaints or allegations relating to food safety matters at local Chinese restaurants. It is disappointing to hear such rumours at a time when small businesses are having such a difficult time. There is no reason to avoid Chinese food

Update: “Boston Borough Council confirmed that Angus Butchers in Boston was given an official caution. The dog posed no risk to public health, but all the contents of the industrial freezer it was stored in were destroyed.”



Posted: 1st, April 2011 | In: The Consumer Comment | Follow the Comments on our RSS feed: RSS 2.0 | TrackBack | Permalink