Anorak

Anorak | Replacing all PIP breast implants on the NHS is a must

Replacing all PIP breast implants on the NHS is a must

by | 2nd, January 2012

THE story of the faulty Poly Implants Prostheses (PIP) breast implants the ones filled with industrial silicon is gaining momentum. The British Government says the French-made PIP breasts might be faulty, but they will not replace them on the NHS. The French Government will replace any breasts containing the cheap silicon for women who had them for post-cancer reconstructive surgery. The French say that the prosthetics could rupture. In all, 300,000 woman across the world have had the implants around 50,000 in the UK.

Are the cheaper PIP breasts implants- the cheap fakes cost £100 each, a third the price the correct grade ones dangerous? The French National Cancer Institute investigated after eight women with PIP implants developed breast cancer. It found no evidence to suggest that there was a link.

Which all begs the questions: if cheaper, industrial silicon poses no risk to health why is it banned from breast implants?

But it turns out that the rate of rupture could be seven times higher than estimated.  Andrew Lansley, the health secretary, says the curent evidence does not justify safety concerns. But the current evidence is not all that thorough. He’s ordered a review.

Says Lansley:

“I want to reassure women that if any new data comes to light which calls into question the safety of these implants, we will act swiftly to help them. Our top priority is making sure that women get the correct advice so that they are kept safe.”

How reassured do women feel?

The Sunday Times r eports:

The latest figures are understood to have been presented by Transform, Britain’s leading cosmetic surgery chain, and showed that 7% of the PIP implants it had used on patients since 2006 had ruptured, compared with the official national figure of 1% given out last week by the regulator, the Medicines and Healthcare Regulatory Agency (MHRA). This compares with a 5% failure rate identified in France.

Lansley has called on Sir Bruce Keogh, the National Health Service medical director, to review the evidence.

Says Susanne Ludgate, the clinical director of the MHRA, in The Sunday Telegraph:

“It’s clear there is conflicting data coming from the cosmetic surgery sector. It raises doubts about the surveillance and reporting of incidents by these companies.”

Fazel Fatah, president of

You have already read 1 premium article for free today
Access immediately the premium content with Multipass

Or come back tomorrow



Posted: 2nd, January 2012 | In: News Comments (4) | Follow the Comments on our RSS feed: RSS 2.0 | TrackBack | Permalink