Anorak

Anorak | Flat blown apart by rhubarb chutney

Flat blown apart by rhubarb chutney

by | 10th, July 2013

rhubabr Flat blown apart by rhubarb chutneyIMAGINE your house had just blown up. You’d instantly appear exciting and brave to all your pals. However, what happens if your flat was blown up by a boring jar of rhubarb chutney?

That’s exactly what happened to Margaret Goodwin who was asleep in her bedroom when the jar exploded one morning.

When she went to investigate, she saw that her fridge door had been blown off and knocked a chunk from the opposite wall. Not only that, the roof had also temporarily come off, leaving cracks in the wall.

The fire brigade came along, baffled by the explosion.

Goodwin said to The Daily Telegraph:

“The noise was absolutely deafening, even in my bedroom, and when I went to investigate, I wasn’t sure at first what had happened.

“We don’t have gas in the building but it was obvious something out of the ordinary had happened. I was quite shaken up.”

Then, it turned out to be the rhubarb chutney, a gift from a chum, which had been in the fridge for five days and had exploded when gas fermented in the jar.

A technical director from Hanover Housing Association, which runs the sheltered block where Goodwin lives, inspected the flat and established the fruity cause.

“You wouldn’t think a little jar of rhubarb chutney could cause so much devastation,” Goodwin added.

“I thought the pressure building up inside the fridge would simply have forced the door open to let the gasses escape, but the fire brigade tell me that when gasses build up inside a fridge, it actually makes the door shut and seal itself even tighter.”

Rhubarb surprise…



Posted: 10th, July 2013 | In: Strange But True Comment | Follow the Comments on our RSS feed: RSS 2.0 | TrackBack | Permalink