Watch The Top 10 Twitter Spikes Of 2013
THE Football Association are very disappointed that numbers of people taking up football are dwindling. It seems less kids want to run around in dreadful weather, getting lumps kicked out of them and paying their subs for the privilege.
In completely unrelated news, football took over Twitter in 2013 and dominated the spikes of activity the site had.
Sport, shown live on television is always going to fare well on Twitter, because it is a live event and you want to share the experience with your friends if you’re not at the game itself.
Of course, Andy Murray winning Wimbledon did very well, mainly with people doing the ‘HE’S SCOTTISH WHEN HE LOSES BUT BRITISH WHEN HE WINS!’ joke, over and over and over again like they’d invented the bastard thing. Mumford & Sons performance at Glastonbury was another, with most of the spike a result of people slagging them off, you’d assume.
Of the top ten spikes, seven of them belonged to football. So which ones were they? Let’s look shall we?
1. Manchester United 1-2 Real Madrid, March, 2013
2. New Year’s Eve, December 31, 2012
3. Andy Murray winning Wimbledon, July, 2013
4. England 2-2 Brazil, June, 2013
5. Dortmund 4-1 Real Madrid, April, 2013
6. Manchester City 0-1 Wigan, May, 2013
7. England 3-2 Scotland, August, 2013
8. Bayern Munich 4-0 Barcelona, April, 2013
9. Mumford & Sons close Glastonbury Festival, June, 2013
10. England 2-0 Poland, October, 2013