Anorak | Manchester United: When Assistant Manager Jimmy Murphy Took Over From Matt Busby In 1958

Manchester United: When Assistant Manager Jimmy Murphy Took Over From Matt Busby In 1958

by | 23rd, April 2014

THE last time Manchester United had an interim manger was after the Munich Air Disaster. United’s Assistant Manager Jimmy Murphy didn’t travel to Belgrade with the team due to his commitments as Welsh national manager Wales were playing Israel in Cardiff on the same night as Red Star Belgrade were due to play Manchester United match in Belgrade, Yugoslavia.

In this picture dated 06/02/1958, he fields telephone inquiries from concerned fans just hours  after the disaster .




Murphy had been in good spirits. Wales beat Israel, securing qualification for the 1958 FIFA World Cup in Sweden.


Shown here are the Welsh team who beat Israel by two goals to nil in the second leg of their World Cup eliminator at Ninian Park, Cardiff on February 5th. The Welshmen now go forward to the finals in Stockholm, beginning of June. Back Row, L to R: Alan Harrington, Stuart Williams, John Charles, John Kelsey, Melvyn Hopkins, Ivor Allchurch, Melvyn Charles. Front Row, L to R: Terence Medwin, Ronald Hewitt, David Bowen, Clifford Jones. Date: 05/02/1958


Yaacov Hodorov, Israel's goalkeeper, 'flies' parallel with the turf as he brings off a magnificent save in the World Cup eliminator against Wales at Ninian Park, Cardiff. Immediately behind the keeper is John Charles, released by his Italian club, Juventus, to play in today's match. Wales won 2-0 and go forward to the finals in Stockholm.


To date, it’s the only time Wales have qualified for the World Cup Finals. Wales lost 1-0 in the quarter-final to Brazil.


Welsh left winger Cliff Jones leaps and heads the ball over Brazil's right-back Nilton De Sordi towards Brazil's goal during the World Cup Quarter Final match in Gothenburg, Sweden, June 19, 1958. Brazil scored the only goal in the match and meet France in the semi-final


But that was to come. Before that came the terrible news. The chartered aircraft bringing Manchester United home had stopped at Munich’s Riem Airport to refuel. It had crashed on take off. 

Seven of Manchester United’s famous Busby Babes team were killed. Three club officials and 13 others also died. The dead players were:  Eddie Colman, 21, Billy Whelan, 22, David Pegg, 22, and Geoff Bent, 25, Tommy Taylor, 26, Roger Byrne, 28, and  Duncan Edwards, 21. Jackie Blanchflower, 24, and Johnny Berry, 31, were too badly injured tom play again.


PA. 321672 Soccer - European Cup - Quarter Final Second Leg- Red Star Belgrade v Manchester United Manchester United team group (l-r): Duncan Edwards, Eddie Colman, Mark Jones, Ken Morgans, Bobby Charlton, Dennis Viollet, Tommy Taylor, Billy Foulkes, Harry Gregg, Albert Scanlon, Roger Byrne. Date: 06/02/1958

You have already read 1 premium article for free today
Access immediately the premium content with Multipass

Or come back tomorrow

Posted: 23rd, April 2014 | In: manchester united, Sports Comment | Follow the Comments on our RSS feed: RSS 2.0 | TrackBack | Permalink