Anorak

Anorak | Murder in Tunisia: blame the West’s moral impotence and Seifeddine Rezgui’s poverty

Murder in Tunisia: blame the West’s moral impotence and Seifeddine Rezgui’s poverty

by | 27th, June 2015

The horror in Tunisia is getting blanket media coverage. Fifteen British citizens are known to have been murdered. In all, 38 people were killed and 36 wounded by the Islamist at the Sousse beach resort.

The Times : “Tunisia relatives’ desperate wait for news”

Not knowing must be terrible.

Ross Naylor has launched a social media appeal for news of his father Scott Chalkley, 42, and his partner Sue Davey, both of whom were staying at the Imperial hotel which was caught up in the attack in the popualr resourt of Sousse. He said he has not heard any news on their whereabouts despite several calls to their mobile phones, the hotel, the Foreign Office and a local hospital.

The Times quotes Foreign Minister Tobias Ellwood:

This is the most significant terrorist attack on British people since 7/7 and highlights the ongoing threat of Isil [Isis].”

It looks like relying on the Kurds to keep the barbarians at bay is not going to work.

 

Photographer and beauty blogger Carly Lovett, 24, had recently got engaged to her boyfriend Liam Moore, according to the Lincolnshire Echo.

 

Daily Mail : “Kalashnikov in hand, chilling images show ISIS murderer walking on beach in front of stunned onlookers before unleashing carnage”

Or as the Mirror  notes on the same image:

“Kalshnikov in hand, the killer is seen strolling in the surf with unsuspecting tourists on the beach behind him

Stunned or unsuspecting? The reporting in weak. The image is banal.

 

Seifeddine Rezgui

 

The paper adds:

Machine gun in hand, the ISIS gunman calmly strolls down the Tunisian beach where he gunned down 38 innocent tourists in cold blood.  A truly chilling image shows Seifeddine Rezgui walking through the shallow water in Sousse with his AK47 – casually passing abandoned inflatables as a group of men keep their distance behind him.

The image tells us nothing. But the Mail wants to focus on the killer. It shows more photos of his face and his dead body. And it still tells us nothing.

The Mirror hears from the ‘hero’ policeman who apparently killed the killer:

Re-living the shoot-out, he said: “I put two bullets in him. I haven’t slept since.”

The Mail continues the barrage. It’s news to gawp at. It’s almost pornographic in its obviousness. These are some headlines:

* Horror on the beach: At least 15 Britons confirmed dead in Tunisian massacre as it emerges that ISIS gunman LAUGHED as he picked off his victims

* Ramadan will have lots of surprises’: The chilling threats from ISIS social media accounts before Tunisia attack

* ‘An attack upon the nests of fornication, vice and disbelief in God’: ISIS’s chilling words after Tunisian massacre which killed 38 as they warn ‘worse is to follow’

The BBC :

Tony Callaghan, 52 from Norfolk and his wife Chris survived the attack but were both taken to hospital with gunshot wounds.

Mr Callaghan described the horrific scene inside the hotel.

“I looked down the corridor and there were at least two other females who were dead, they had been shot,” he said. “One of the little offices that went out to the right, there was a young guy in there who was sat on a chair. And his girlfriend was dead next to him in the office and he was holding her hand. And he said, what do I do?… I pulled him out the way and I checked for a pulse. And there was no pulse. He said ‘we’re getting married in two weeks time’. And she was dead.”

No need to sensationalise the horror. The individual’s story is painful. No need to understand the jihadi and the politics. To be human you need only to empathise with the pain.

 

Seifeddine Rezgui 1

 

BBC : “Relatives of Tunisia gunman ‘horrified’ by beach massacre”

This image taken from a militant website associated with Islamic State, posted on Saturday, purports to show the Tunisian gunman, whom Islamic State referred to by a nom de guerre – Abu Yahya al-Qayrawani

In the Tunisian village of Jaafour, where the man who is widely alleged to have carried out the attack in Sousse was born and bred, there is shock and distress. The Tunisian, whom Islamic State have named as Abu Yahya al-Qayrawani, lived in Jaafour until he was 19 or 20. He then went off to university at Kairouan but continued to visit the village regularly…

He went away. And then he came home. What say his loved ones?

They said they had seen him literally two or three days before the event and that there was nothing in his behaviour to indicate he had been radicalised or that he was about to carry out an attack.

It seems that just the day before the attack, on Thursday, he was in Jaafour and he had his beard shaved off, presumably the better to make his way onto the beach without arousing suspicion.

The Sun has a photo of the killer:

 

Seifeddine Rezgui 18

 

The Guardian : “Tunisia beach attack killer’s stunned neighbours blame ‘brainwashing’”

You have already read 1 premium article for free today
Access immediately the premium content with Multipass

Or come back tomorrow



Posted: 27th, June 2015 | In: Key Posts, News Comment | Follow the Comments on our RSS feed: RSS 2.0 | TrackBack | Permalink