Anorak News | British People Dying From Candle Fumes

British People Dying From Candle Fumes

by | 20th, August 2009

media-scare-stories2TODAY’S media scare story tells us that “Romantic candles could cause cancer, say scientists.”

Anyone who lights a scented candle deserves to die. Now they will:

Candlelight may be key to creating the perfect atmosphere for a romantic dinner or a relaxing bath – but it could also be a dangerous one, claim American scientists.

Richard Alleyne, the Telegraph’s Science Correspondent, cocks an ear to the American Chemical Society annual conference and learnt that fumes from paraffin wax “can be poisonous and even cause cancer”.

Inhaling paraffin fumes might be bad for you. Looks like its back to glue, readers. The report has more:

“An occasional paraffin candle and its emissions will not likely affect you,” said Amid Hamidi, the co-author of the study at South Carolina State University.

“But lighting many paraffin candles every day for years or lighting them frequently in an unventilated bathroom around a tub, for example, may cause problems.”

Get that? If you light candles (plural) every day in an unventilated room for years it might be hazardous to health?

Hey, you can’t argue with research grant-funded science.

And you will suffer, because the Telegraph says this research is deeply relevant to you:

People are turning to candles as a way of escaping their hectic lives – and as a way of saving on energy. However they are unlikely to save money as many designer candles now cost upwards of £20.

Yeah, really. People use candles instead of light? This winter, Old Mr Anorak turns “really rather old” again and plans not to blow out his candles but keep them burning for a few months. He will spend his winter fuel allowance on a Thai woman to lay across his naked ankles.

Posted: 20th, August 2009 | In: Reviews Comment | TrackBack | Permalink